Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Beach and a resolution



So, I thought that I’d do another installment on the beach saga. After my initial go round with the agent in Carteret County, I did call and leave a message stating that I thought I should handle the lease on my place down there myself. That I’d be happy to pay the agency on Harker’s Island a finder’s fee for bringing a tenant to me. I think that's fair. No one should work for free.

A day went by and silence from area code 252; I did hear from my mom and dad, but nothing, nil, nada from the agent. By yesterday afternoon I was becoming somewhat antsy. I typically don’t leave messages hanging around on my voice mail or email and I really don’t care for it when others do so. Finally mid-afternoon at 2:05 pm an email came. The email tendered the tenant's name and phone number. The agent demurred on a finder’s fee stating that since he didn’t have a management agreement in place when he started down the representation path that he felt he wasn’t due compensation.

I do agree and disagree with that and I do understand this fellow’s soft peddle on compensation. I imagine the North Carolina Real Estate Commission would have a fit over all of this if it were reported; it won’t be. So here’s my advice to all of you out in the blogesphere; if you engage an agent for buying, selling, renting or leasing make sure that you have an agreement in writing outlining who, why, where, how, how much and when. This situation turned out well but it just as easily couldn’t have. What I would have done in the beach agent shoes is emailed an agreement to Durham outlining terms and we would have hammered all of this out before a tenant even entered the picture. The lesson I’ve learned, insist that others do things right each and every time.

Coming soon…my on-going discussion with an agent who won’t disclose to me whether or not he has an exclusive right to sell listing agreement on a listing in which he states in Multiple Listing that the home is “EO” or “Entry Only.” The Real Estate Commission views this designation “EO” as simply advertising and not offering advice or counsel as in an agency relationship.

Interested in buying, selling, renting or leasing property in Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill, North Carolina; call or text me to 919-608-2372 or email MSullivan@fmrealty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment